Pages

Monday 20 July 2015

Windmill Half Marathon race report

Windmill Medal
I was looking forward to doing the Windmill Half marathon and getting some double digit mileage under my belt, something I've not had much chance to do while training for my triathlon. I heard the course could be pretty boring with a flat two lap loop along the coast, but I quite like this type of race as you know what you are in for and you can tick off little landmarks on your way, including a very large pretty windmill.

What I didn't like or anticipate was the wind. My god the wind. The second half of the loop felt like you were using up all your energy just pushing through the gale and I could really feel it in my legs and lungs which were burning. 'Shut up legs' I kept saying to myself over and over. Then the turn back came again and out I ran getting into the stride and feeling good. Then back into the hellish wind. Repeat. So it really was a run of two halves.

There was a nice atmosphere and the looped route also meant plenty of opportunity to see people you knew out on the course . I got to see all the Harriers who were also running, and cheer them on while they offered me words of encouragement which was great, and needed.

The miles crept up and the wind kept going and then suddenly I was at 10 miles and I realised that I was surprisingly and tantalisingly close to my PB. I told my legs to shut up again and pushed on, knowing it would be touch and go in these conditions. I decided I had to give it my all otherwise I'd be annoyed with myself. I ran and ran making strange noises and grimacing into the home straight with the effort. I gave it my all only to see the clock as I ran over the line read 1.39.55 - 10 seconds more than my PB. I felt sick - mostly because I had run so hard, and just a tiny bit sick about the time. But I'm over that. There will be other races, I will get another PB another time (perhaps when I've worked a little bit harder for it in training) and I know that I gave it my all on the day. And you can't do any better than that.

I came fourteenth lady; got my second best ever time; had a great time with some of the Harriers and received the world's most ridiculous medal, complete with moving windmill sails.

All in all not a bad way to spend a Sunday morning.


5 comments:

  1. It was such a great race. But yes the wind. I haven't been able to find the words to describe just how difficult it was to run in. And The Best Medal Ever.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My all time favourite medal for sure.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. THE WIND! A bit like running through treacle. Congrats on your second half marathon Jen! x

      Delete
  3. Congratulations Sarah! That medal takes race bling to a whole new level! :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Kirsten! Yes that medal is definitely up there with the best!

      Delete