Pages

Friday 6 February 2015

Running with a podcast - Crandon Runs Friday Photo #19

Unlike Sarah, I'm not a natural runner. Although I recognise the benefits (it's free, it's a great way of getting outside and I always feel fab afterwards) but like many people I find it hard to motivate myself.

I ran a half marathon many years ago (in 2hours30 - no I'm not fast, but hey, I bloomin' did it!) but talking myself into actually getting out and running is often the hardest part for me.

That's why I love podcasts.

Podcasts are a good way of getting you motivated, while also helping to improve your running technique, speed, stamina, or whatever you want to work on. There's bound to be one that suits your needs.


I first started using the free NHS choices Couch to 5k programme last summer. I had been going to the gym and doing yoga, but hadn't run properly for ages and thought it would be a good way to get back into it. The podcast was a little too easy to be honest (it's aimed at people who have literally never even been for a jog) but knowing I had to do three set runs every week as part of the programme was excellent motivation.

Now I've graduated to the 5k Plus podcasts, which are also free and focus on improving your speed, stamina and running technique. The music is also pretty good, the songs are completely unknown to me (I think they've used royalty-free tracks) but the tunes have a good beat so it's easy to ensure you're keeping up the pace.

Simply search 'running podcasts' in iTunes or wherever you get your podcasts from and you'll see there are plenty to choose from. Give it a try!

This is a guest blog from me (Katie Chappelle) while Sarah AKA Crandon Runs is on holiday.

If you're in Cardiff, you might want to follow my blog cardiffgirl.wordpress.com 

No comments:

Post a Comment