Pages

Sunday 1 February 2015

Cardiff Parkrun

Parkrun is an amazingly simple concept; Weekly, free, timed 5k runs around parks across the UK. Perfect for people who want to beat their PB, are looking for a social run with like-minded people or just need a reason to get out of bed and get their trainers on at the weekend.

Parkrun is a not for profit event, run by fantastic volunteers and it's completely free to take part, just register online. Print off a barcode (you have to print it, they can't scan smart phones) and they'll log your time and email it to you. Simple. 

Cardiff Parkrun takes place every Saturday at 9am, starting on the Taff Trail at Blackweir (next to the giant Tesco on Western Avenue) and running along the River Taff, looping back through Bute Park.

Cardiff Parkrun along the beautiful River Taff
After eating my homemade energy ball and downing a smoothie, I turned up ready to race alone with a podcast to keep me company. But while standing at the start line, trying my best to keep warm, I bumped into two of my old work colleagues, Nicola and Beth and Beth's sister. 

Hooray! It meant that my solo run became a lot more sociable and we jogged round the course in 34 mins, while managing to catch up on a good bit of gossip. And that's really what Park Run is about. Not gossiping (unless that helps motivate you, in which case gossip away) But Parkrun is about taking on a challenge with other runners, feeling that comraderie, with perhaps a dash of competitiveness thrown in. It would've been a huge mistake to do it alone with my iPod!

Finish line selfie with my fellow Parkrunners!

So to the course itself. The Taff Trail is absolutely beautiful anyway so to run around there is always lovely, no matter the weather. With more than 650 runners taking part, the path is a bit tight at the start, but it soon opens up with plenty of room for all speeds and levels. I do think there's an opportunity here for another park run in Cardiff though - further along the Taff Trail at Forest Farm or around Pontcanna and Llandaff for example. The demand is certainly there. 

I didn't record a PB at this weeks race, but I wasn't far off and a surprise catch up with friends while enjoying a scenic run made for a lovely morning. 

Chuffed with my time of 34:33 at Cardiff Parkrun
The timing of Parkrun meant I was home by 10am, plenty of time to enjoy a well-deserved breakfast of spinach, avocado and poached eggs on toast with an Americano. Heaven! 

My well deserved post-run breakfast


You can find out more about Cardiff Parkrun on their website.

From 8 February, Cardiff Parkrun will also be holding a weekly junior event for 4-14 year olds.

Sarah AKA Crandon Runs is currently on holiday.

If you're in Cardiff, you might want to follow my blog cardiffgirl.wordpress.com 

4 comments:

  1. Love reading your posts. Can i ask you what you have in your pre-run smoothie?
    Thanks
    Sarah

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Sarah!
    I like a Beetroot, apple and ginger smoothie pre run (recipe available on the blog!) and an Almond, Banana and date shake from Deliciously Ella afterwards.
    Katie, who wrote this post, has a pre-run smoothie of banana, kiwi, spinach and almond milk.
    Enjoy - and let us know how you go!
    CR x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you for letting me know. I'm having a lot of problems fueling early morning runs so looking forward to trying your recipes out.

    Thanks again
    Sarah x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah it's hard! Sometimes I go on an empty stomach, other times I prefer just a banana. Keep going until you find out what works for you!

      Delete